Thomasons is an award-winning consulting practice working across a range of sectors including education, residential and commercial for both private and public sector clients from scheme concept through to detailed design and construction monitoring.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a civil engineer to join our busy and expanding team in Guildford.
We are looking for an engineer who will be capable of working with minimal supervision and able to supervise and support junior members of the team.
The responsibilities of the role include:
- Working within a small team (senior engineer, graduate engineer) and providing technical design best practice
- Assisting in coordinating projects across the civil engineering team
- Being responsible for the production of technical design information including drawings, calculations, specifications and reports
- Approving designs, assessments and calculations in accordance with quality procedures
- Liaising effectively with clients, local authorities and other design team members
- Assist in undertaking the project management and financial control of small and medium sized projects
- Coordinating work undertaken by external sub-contractors
- Assisting in the preparation of bids and proposals
- Assist in mentoring junior staff
- Developing business with new and existing clients
- Happy to work in a small team, delegating and supervising work of team members and acting as a mentor for a junior member to develop their technical skills
- Experience in liaising with clients, associated professionals and other disciplines team members on all relevant aspects of projects
- Knowledge of highways and pavement design
- Competent in foul and surface water drainage including SuDS design
- Competent in the use of computer modelling packages such as MicroDrainage
- Competent in the production of specifications and technical reports and feasibility studies
- Knowledgeable of the design and construction process, including RIBA stages
- Sound knowledge of design standards and codes of practice such as Sewers for Adoption, SuDS Manual (C753), the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, Manual for Streets
- Knowledge of adoptable infrastructure design and the negotiation of Section 104, 106, 38 and 278 agreements
- Competent in liaising with local authorities and other stakeholders to obtain necessary technical approvals and consents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good understanding of the CDM 2015 Regulations
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of packages
- AutoCAD, Civil 3D and PDS
- Near-chartered status with a relevant professional body
- Able to carry out site inspections and monitoring
- Experience in working in new development projects
- Knowledgeable of flood modelling, flood alleviation schemes design and preparation of Surface Water Management Plans
- Able to use computer modelling packages such as Flood Modeller Pro, InfoWorks ICM and GIS software, PDS
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Thomasons offer a competitive benefits package which includes a contributory pension scheme, health insurance and cycle to work scheme.