Dean Clough in the centre of Halifax, West Yorkshire, is a complex of old factory mills that has been regenerated into a nationally-renowned centre for business and the arts.
This landmark 20-acre site was once the headquarters for carpet manufacturer Crossley, one of the world’s largest carpet manufacturers. The mills were built in 1840-60 and were in operation until the business closed in 1983. For the past 30 years these derelict mills have gradually been converted into offices, shops, restaurants, galleries and many other enterprises, creating a business community of more than 4,000 people.
Thomasons acted as structural engineers in the conversion of F Mill. This imposing building, built in 1858, rises to six storeys and has a total floor area of 105,500 sq. ft.
Our engineers conducted a detailed inspection of the mill and delivered the structural design for the conversion, which included installing new glazed lifts, a new roof and uprating the load capacity of existing floors.
The mill has brick-arched floors supported on cast iron beams and a meticulous survey was carried out to identify which beams required strengthening. The floor load capacity was increased by installing a special new lightweight floor to replace the stone flags and rubble fill over the brick arched floor. In addition, an innovative prestressing technique was used to strengthen the cast iron beams.
A new roof structure was designed, supported by the existing cast iron columns, and a substantial plant room was also provided at roof level.
Today the mill is used as high-quality office space and forms part of this outstanding example of urban regeneration. The renovation was shortlisted in the British Council for Offices (BCO) Awards for excellence in Refurbished/Recycled Workplaces.