Thomasons acted as civil and structural engineers in a regeneration project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, to restore the glasshouses in the historic Grappenhall Heys Garden in South Warrington.
The Grappenhall Heys Estate was founded almost two hundred years ago by local banker Thomas Parr, who purchased land over a number of years and by 1830 had constructed a new house with formal gardens, parkland and a walled garden. The house eventually fell into a state of disrepair and was demolished, but the walled garden, containing a range of glasshouses, survived.
The project involved the complete reconstruction of the decaying glasshouses, as well as the refurbishment and extension of the adjoining brick sheds.
The glasshouses were built to the original Foster and Pearson design, salvaging original materials wherever possible and using like-for-like new materials.
Thomasons was responsible for the design and detailing of the new foundations, ground floor slabs, below-ground drainage, and new openings in the existing masonry spine wall and for the extension of the brick sheds.
Restored to their former glory, the gardens and glasshouses are now an important visitor attraction and provide a venue for events, exhibitions and education.